Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 09:04:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Nelson <nelson@seahunt.imat.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Discouraged...

Machine: 	AMI 486/33
Ram:		16MB
SCSI:		2 ea CDC 320MB drives on an Adaptec AHA-1740
		1 ea Archive Viper 150 Tape
		1 ea Toshiba 3101 CDROM
Ethernet:	WD (SMC) 8013
Video:		ATI Graphics Ultra

As a recent convert from Linux to FreeBSD, I must say I am becoming quite
discouraged with FreeBSD.

I had two main reasons for switching:

First, I wanted to learn the "bsd way" of doing things.  I was looking
for experience with a bsd unix so that I could learn about the different
ways as compared to SVR4 (which I ran for a couple years, Esix and
Unixware), and Linux.  FreeBSD seems to be fulfilling that goal for me.

Secondly, I had gotten disenchanted with some of the little niggling
problems with Linux's networking code, and had heard that FreeBSD had the
best networking code of all, bar none.  I am certainly NOT finding that
to be the case!  For _ME_, on _MY_ machine, FreeBSD's networking code has
been very disappointing and troublesome.

EXAMPLE - Networking
--------------------

The "sup" program... I get an average of about 16cps on sup transfers
from FreeBSD.ORG.  That's right, SIXTEEN CPS.  It takes so long to do a
sup that it isn't even a practical alternative for me.  Half the time the
connection times out and can't even be made, and the rest of the time the
sup transfers just stop for some reason.  I let sup run for about 20
hours yesterday and it succeeded in updating only through /usr/src/etc.
I finally aborted it.

Using ncftp, I get about the same transfer speeds from that site,
although other sites seem to be OK (1.5KB/sec... we're on a SLIP).  Ping
times and traceroutes look normal between here and FreeBSD.ORG.  I have
no idea what's wrong.

And, at the same time, I can telnet to my roommate's Linux machine and
get very good transfer speeds using ncftp from the same site, through the
same slip connection.  So I doubt it's network connections between our
slip and FreeBSD.ORG.

Example - HARDWARE SUPPORT
--------------------------

Toshiba 3101 CDROM Drive:

I have an older Toshiba CDROM drive.  It's a 3101, and it worked fine for
me under Linux, both as a data drive and as an audio cd player.  I spent
several hours trying to get it working under FreeBSD with both xcdplayer
and with xmcd (which worked GREAT for me under Linux).  I finally found a
file somewhere in the source tree a file that had a comment to the effect
that scsi-1 cdroms are not supported in audio play mode.  So, it looks as
if I am going to have to replace what has been a perfectly adequate cdrom
if I want audio cd support under FreeBSD.

I guess I can live with that, but I'll probably just have to do without
audio cd support because I really can't afford to replace a perfectly
good drive right now.  Limitations like this really ought to be better
documented in the FAQs.  I certainly couldn't find any information
describing this problem in any of the FAQs, which I read prior to
switching over to FreeBSD.

Archive Viper 150:

FreeBSD seems to feel it necessary to insult my choice of tape drive by
telling me that my drive, which has worked FINE under DOS, OS/2,
Unixware, and Linux, is "a known rogue", every time I boot the system.
It may be a "known rogue" as far as FreeBSD is concerned (it's given me
no end of problems under FreeBSD), but it was as reliable as a stone axe
under those other operating systems.  Why can't FreeBSD deal with it?

EXAMPLE - XWindows
------------------

Common programs such as "xload" periodically blow up and exit with a
floating point exception error.  I've been through the xload code with a
fine tooth comb, and finally got it to compile absolutely clean with the
gcc -Wall switch, but it STILL blows up.  I don't think the problem is
with xload, but with FreeBSD.

SUMMARY
-------

Since I can't sup, I am now in the process of ftp'ing the source tree for
current from FreeBSD.ORG on my roommate's machine, because I can't do it
from here.

I'll try building that source tree, but if it doesn't work better than
the 2.0-950112-SNAP release I'm currently using, I think I'm going to
have to go back to Linux.  I don't want to, but I need for the machine to
be able to do the things I need it to do, and 2.0-950112-SNAP seems to be
falling on its face rather regularly for me.

The problems I experienced with Linux were minor compared to the hassles
I've been going through with FreeBSD so far.

--
Michael Nelson                          nelson@seahunt.imat.com
San Francisco, CA