Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:17:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get a crash dump?!?

I'm running 4.2-STABLE (cvsup'ed on January 20) on a Pentium which I'm
using as a firewall/bridge at home.

For the most part, the system works well, but it crashes under a sus-
tained heavy network load with "panic: m_dup: bogus m_pkthdr.len".

I can produce this panic at will by trying to download a very large
file.  However, I've been completely unable to get a crash dump.

I have "dumpdev" set in /etc/rc.conf, and the "swapon" command works
during startup.  (The box has 24MB of RAM, and the swap partition is
over twice that big, so dumping should theoretically work.)

If I include "options DDB" in the kernel configuration, then the
system (eventually) panics and drops into DDB.  I can do a trace and
other DDB commands, but nothing I've tried so far will cause a crash
dump to be written out.  In particular, I've tried combinations of

    panic
    continue
    call boot(0)
    call boot(256)    [ RB_DUMP flag value in <sys/reboot.h> ]

but the best I can manage to do is get a "page fault while in kernel
mode" panic and another DDB prompt.

If I don't include "options DDB", then when the system eventually
crashes, it goes haywire.  Screenful after screenful of (presumably)
panic messages whiz by on the monitor, and then a bunch of random
color bars are displayed (as if video memory has been overwritten
with random junk?), and then it reboots.

I tried adding some "printf"s to dumpsys() (in kern/kern_shutdown.c),
in order to see why it wasn't dumping, but none of my extra messages
get printed -- suggesting that dumpsys() isn't even being called.

Any ideas?

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/