Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 2004 01:33:17 -0500
From:      Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
To:        Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail for Large Sites

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:06:34PM -0400, Jason Stewart wrote:
> On 18/06/04 06:13 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:
> >=20
> > 	There are other considerations such as the facts that all
> > incoming and outgoing messages are checked for malicious attachments.
> > ldap is used to drive the setting of customer mail delivery
> > preferences and even their user ID choice.
> >=20
>=20
> Hi Martin,
>=20
> Sendmail and Postfix can do the virus scanning. You're going to need
> some serious firepower to scan all attachments for 25000 users.

It depends on how much email these users are generating. I'm an admin for a
small CS department at a liberal arts college. We support around 250 users
(math, physics, CS, alums, and professors). On a normal day, we process
between 1000 and 3000 messages. Our email server is a Dell Poweredge 2650
with dual 2.8GHz processors and 1GB of RAM. We run Sendmail with
MailScanner, which in turn invokes its own testing rubrics and disarming
routines along with SpamAssassin and ClamAV. Benchmarking this system
indicated that we could process over 1,000,000 messages a day. And with
MailScanner, incoming mail will queue up if MailScanner can't keep up for a
while, so you never actually send back the temporary failure codes you have
to use with milters. This system is hardly "big iron" (or any kind of iron,
for that matter), and cost less than $5000. If he supports 25,000 users, he
should be able to scare up at least that much money.

--=20
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

--V88s5gaDVPzZ0KCq