Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:22:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Hofera@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Strange things happen...

> I recently converted from Linux to FreeBSD (because of too frequent disk
> crashes thatI had), so maybe the problem that I'm having is a silly one.
> Last weekend I compiled the Khoros 2.02 package for scientific data
> visualization and image processing and it was amazing how smooth such a huge
> package compiled. The .khoros_env user specific initialization file, which is
> also installed inthe run of this process, sets (among others) the environment
> variable TMPDIR to the value "/usr/tmp". This is done assuming that /usr/tmp

Assigning TMPDIR will cause a lot of utilities to use that variable,
as you found vi has done.  Unfortunately, if you look at /tmp you'll
notice a certain structure to it, like the vi.recover directory that
vi needs.  By pointing at /usr/tmp, you've confused vi.

Recommended fix:  Copy everything from /tmp to /usr/tmp like so:

% tar cf - -C /tmp . | tar xvf - -C /usr/tmp

Remove /tmp

% rm -rf /tmp

Link /tmp to /usr/tmp

% ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp