Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:42:35 +0100
From:      n j <nino80@gmail.com>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The best approach to upgrade to freebsd 10 ?

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM, Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 21:47:08 -0800 (PST)
> sw2wolf <czsq888@163.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to use freebsd-update first, then customize the kernel.  Any
> > suggestion is appreciated !
>
>         I just upgraded a VM from 9.1 to 10.0 by freebsd-update. I had to
> go in two stages, first to 9.2 and then to 10.0 going from 9.1 to 10.0 gave
> me an error. Once you get to 10.0 the first reboot is alarming, the
> userland has real trouble driving the kernel and the network doesn't start.
> It's OK though freebsd-update install and reboot and your ready to
> recompile all your ports or reinstall all your packages which you'll need
> to do before everything you had before works again.

A few days ago I did the (freebsd-update) upgrade of my VPS. I've been
using FreeBSD since 4.8 and been running various releases and doing
upgrades since then. This last upgrade (9.2-->10.0) was probably the worst,
though I accept the blame for not reading /usr/src/UPDATING carefully. Here
are the problems I ran into:

1) unable to boot after first stage of upgrade with "mounting ufs... error
19". This is explained in UPDATING entry 20110424 - basically, disk device
names have been changed and the system was not able to find boot partition
ad0s1a as it was renamed to ada0s1a. This is an old entry, but there were
symbolic links to old device names throughout 9.x enabling the old
configuration to work which I guess was removed on 20130404 ("Legacy ATA
stack... completely removed from sources").

2) network not working. I can't find this exactly in the UPDATING notes,
but there was a lot of talk on Xen-related changes so I guess it was not
much of a surprise. My NIC was renamed from re0 to xn0 hosing the
ifconfig_re0 entries in rc.conf and ipfw "via" rules.

3) not actually a problem per se, but building a custom kernel with
IPFIREWALL_FORWARD option I was using before failed with "unknown option".
Again, this is in UPDATING entry 20121102 - option removed, functionality
enabled by default. Finally!

So take care if you share any of the above. 1) and 2) are especially
problematic if you are running upgrade remotely.

Regards,
--
Nino