Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 11:52:53 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Chris D'Annunzio" <cdann@oz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing problem (Default Gateway?) on laptop

On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 09:42:20PM -0700, Chris D'Annunzio wrote:

[snip]

> I've got my default gateway entry specified appropriately in my rc.conf
> file and I'm at a bit of a loss for what to try next.

Could you show us, please? The gateway is (a) an IP address or a
hostname defined in /etc/hosts and (b) actually a local address.
Are there any error messages during boot about it?

> Some interesting stuff that I think might be related:
> When I issue a "netstat -r" command, it prints out the column headers
> for the routing table and then just hangs.
> If I issue a "route delete default" command and then the netstat command
> it prints out the routing table correctly.
> If I reassign the default gateway entry with a "route add default
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" command, netstat hangs again.

Do a 'netstat -rn'. Your DNS server is not local? 'netstat -r' is
trying to do a reverse-lookup on the addresses in the routing
table. You're probably feeling the DNS time-out.
--
Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.com