Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:18:21 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenSSH 2.9, FreeBSD 4.5

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been discussed - the archives seem to be
unavailable atm, which is why I turn to you...

I have just installed 4.5 on a Compaq proliant, and the default sshd
config does this:

$ ssh myhost.where-i-work.com
user@myhost.where-i-work.com's password:
Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

This occurs even trying to connect from myhost on the loopback:

$ ssh 127.1
user@127.1's password:
Warning: Remote host failed or refused to allocate a pseudo tty.

ssh -v shows that we enter the interactive session, but all I get is a
semi-hung terminal (no further action from the remote end, but CTRL-C
closes the connection.)  I am not setting anything for this host in my
local ~/.ssh/config file, and sshd is running from the default
sshd_config.

The daemon produces these messages in syslog:

... sshd[$PID]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
... sshd[$PID]: error: Failed to allocate pty.

I seem to have the full complement of ptys, and all seem to have the
right permissions, ownership and device numbers.  I am now truly
baffled.  Anyone else seen this and would like to lead this poor
sucker into the light?  Please?  ;-)

Thanks in advance for any and all help...

Dan