Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 11:20:01 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

Hello,

>     I think I've followed this whole thread correctly, and my
> interpretation is this:  we want to have dynamically generated online
> HTML help and search capabilities, but can't afford the extra disk
> space an HTTP server requires.  Right?

Not exactly, it's not an issue of whether we have diskspace for an
httpd (apporx 320k) it's that we don't have diskspace for everything
in the world.  The discussion is whether an httpd deserves a piece
of this limited resource (ie the user's disk).  We are away's from
running out of cdrom space (i think) so i suggest that we quit
worrying about what deserves to be in the releases and concentrate
on building decent groupings of optional packages from which a user
can easily choose to install the items he/she wants.  IMHO that's
as close as we can come to pleasing everybody.

						Steve Passe
						smp@clem.systemsix.com