Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:04:57 -0400
From:      Gerard <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail ignores SmartHost directive

On Tuesday March 20, 2007 at 01:32:57 (PM) Vincent Bolinard wrote:

> I'm trying to set up Sendmail to "send-only". I just want Sendmail
> sends local mails (i.e.: daily security run output) to my SMTP server.
>
> I use :
>
> # cd /etc/mail
> # make
>
> to generate a `hostname`.mc file. I edit it, and add :
> define(`SMART_HOST', `[192.168.1.6]')
>
> (I tried without brackets, and with names)
>
> then :
>
> # make install
> # make restart-mta
>
> I use
>
> # date | sendmail -v postmaster
>
> but I can see in the output that Sendmail sends the mail to the local
> server. It seems that my SmartHost is ignored.
> I can ping the smarthost (whith IP and name), and telnet
> mail.domain.com 25 works fine.
>
> It's suggested in the Handbook to use ssmtp in this case (send-only),
> but I red that it was unable to send HTML mails. Is that true ? If
> not, I'll use it.
>
> So, can somebody tell me where I am wrong ? and what can I do to use a
> smarthost ?

I dont use sendmail myself, but the smart host feature refers to the
SMTP of your service provider. Something like: "smtp.my-isp.com" sans
quotes. I am not sure if you can use the numeric address or not. In any
case, it would not be the one you have shown anyway. After configuring
it, type: "make all install restart" if it is running or replace
'restart' with 'start' if it is not.

Make sure you have to have sendmail properly activated in the
/etc/rc.conf file.

Check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html

--