Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:46:49 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu (Joseph Scott)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, edirol@anime.ca, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw fwd action problems

> > In summary, using 'ipfw fwd' is really not what you want to be
> > doing. You probably want to be using natd(8). It does what you want.
> > --
>
> 	You may also want to try some of the programs out there that basically
> do only port forwarding.  I personally haven't tried these, but I know
> of at least two in the ports collection ( I know there are more, but
> can't remember their names at the moment ) :
>
> rinetd
> bounce
>
> 	I know there are several other programs out there that specialize in
> this also.  If you aren't already ready running natd then going this
> route may be easier, on the other hand if you already have natd in this
> loop then you may as well use it to redirect the port.

One such port is `socket-1.1'. Works like a charm. For a while I was running
a MUSH off one of my boxes. I changed the MUSH over to another box, and added
the following entry into inetd (on the original box):

  mush  stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/socket  socket beetle.laurasia.com.au mush

(In /etc/services there was an entry for `mush', defining its TCP port number.
The mush, BeetleMUSH, has since been squashed, and no longer exists. Nor does
beetle, the machine referenced above)

Requests for the MUSH service were transparently switched over to the new
server.

Hope this helps!

Mike Kennett