Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 1996 06:42:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      jeh@anubis.network.com (Jeff Henning)
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com (Bill/Carolyn Pechter)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Look familiar? --> "Unable to find operating system"

> > > Probably you had the BSD install put in the OS-BS (or other boot
> > > selector) on the first drive, instead of installing it from DOS
> > > (see other articles about this in the -questions list archive
> > > and in the FAQ).
>
> Take OS-BS off the CDROM or ftp site and unpack the zip file (OSBS20B8
> may be a self extracting file.  Run it and follow the pull down menus.
> It worked here booting from my second drive...
>
> Bill

I got the OS-BS program onto a floppy successfully but when I
start it up it doesn't find my FreeBSD partition.  It only sees
the DOS partition on the first drive.  If I run fdisk from DOS
and look at the config parameters for the second disk.  The
partition type is "Unknown" and the label is blank.  Shouldn't
this be labeled "FreeBSD" or something like that?  Acording to
fdisk, the DOS partition is of size 1030 (instead of 1024?) but
my drive is a 1G drive.  Could this be the problem?  Before anything
boots I get a "Partition does not match > 1G setting".  Also, I
changed the "large disk access mode" in the main Bios from "DOS"
to "Other" and re-installed FreeBSD for the 3rd time but this
didn't fix the problem either.  I also executed fdisk from DOS
and selected "make partition active" for the 2nd drive but I got
a "Can only make active partition on 1st drive" or something like
that.  Any other ideas?

Jeff