Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:08:20 +0100
From:      "fam Springer" <springer@pi.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   My 3Com Etherlink III ISA 3C509 Card

My name is Rink Springer, and I'm 13 years old. I am a member of The Young
Scientists (De Jonge Onderzoekers), Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
I bought FreeBSD a few weeks ago, and I have a BIG (...) problem. I have a
3C509 Ethernet network card, and FreeBSD reconizes it perfectly. When I
boot FreeBSD using my arranged kernel,
FreeBSD says it has the Ethernet address is 0020AF2F46C0. According to the
installation program on the disk, 3C5X9CFG, the Ethernet address is
00608C2F46C0.
As you see, there is a small difference between these results. When I load
ftpd, it
bombs out with the error "socket operation on non-socket".
I tried to reload inetd, but it gives me a list of already used sockets,
and ftp is in that list. When I use netstat -i (or -a, I can't remember),
the number of packets on ep0, that's my 3C509 card, the number is always
incrementing. Can you please help me solving this problem?

Dank U,
Rink