Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:48:52 -0500
From:      "Stephen Hoover" <shooverfbn@442spot.com>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about vinum and failure of root partition

Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 8:00 PM

> > Could some give me a brief rundown of how to recover the data from a
> > mirrored drive (partition) if the primary drive fails and the
> > FreeBSD config is lost?
>
> It's automatic.
>
> You don't need to do anything.  The configuration is stored on the
> drives themselves.  When Vinum starts, it checks what it has left and
> what it can do with it.  If you lose one half of your mirror, then it
> will continue with the other.
>
> Greg

Hmmm ok, I must be missing something here. Let's say I had /usr
and /home mirrored. Now the root partition (that is the boot partition)
is NOT mirrored and the first drive fails. (wiping out the FreeBSD
config altogether.) Assuming that I have installed a new disk, partitioned
it to match the partitions on the second drive, reinstall FreeBSD and
run vinum - it will see the vinum volume on the second drive and
automatically rebuild the mirror?

I guess I am confused because I thought all the config was saved to
/dev/vinum on the first drive? The drive that died?

Sorry for being dense - new area for me :)
Stephen