Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:07:53 -0500
From:      Nicolas Blais <nb_root@videotron.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kiffin Gish <kiffin@gish.demon.nl>
Subject:   Re: Sharing filesystems between FreeBSD and Windows ...

--nextPart1761995.oqT4IHAmer

On November 22, 2005 09:59 am, Kiffin Gish wrote:
> I have a home network running 3 desktop machines with Windows XP Pro,
> and a webserver, fileserver and laptop with FreeBSD 5.x.
>
> What's the best way to be able to exchange files and directory shares
> between the two environments?
>
> It would also be nice to share the printer which is connected to one of
> the Windows boxes via USB.
>
> I hear that Samba is the way to go, but also have heard about such
> client-based utilities like Sharity-light which also do the trick.
>
> Thanks alot in advance.

I use samba+cups at home.  My situation is similar, except my printer is=20
connected to one of my FreeBSD machines.  The hardest part of linking FreeB=
SD=20
with Windows isn't the getting the shares to work, but the printers to work=
,=20
and I found it easier to have the printer on FreeBSD and have Windows write=
=20
to it using real drivers (cups in RAW mode).

Actually, it's not as hard at is seems.  Here's what I put in my smb.conf t=
o=20
make the printer work:

printing =3D cups
load printers =3D yes

[printers]
path =3D /var/spool/samba
use client driver =3D Yes
printable =3D yes
public =3D yes
guest ok =3D yes
writable =3D no

You'll find a lot of help in the Samba documentation and cups is also well=
=20
documented.

Nicolas.

=2D-=20
=46reeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Sat Nov 19 12:36:29 EST 2005    =20
root@clk01a:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CLK01A=20
PGP? (updated 16 Nov 05) : http://www.clkroot.net/security/nb_root.asc