Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:24:15 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kernel bloat

Hi,

I've just recompiled custom kernel to include
firewall options IPFIREWALL, IPDIVERT,
IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE, IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE=100,
and ICMP_BANDLIM.

My previous kernel was a slim, trim 1789667
bytes. The new kernel is weighs in at a
whopping 7121175 bytes!  That's 1.7MB to 7.1MB!

Since this is a modest 80486 with only 20MB RAM,
and it's sole purpose in life is to route, I'm
trying to keep the kernel and the OS as unencumbered
as possible.

Is this kernel bloat the price I pay for packet
filtering?  Will a 7.1MB kernel on a 20MB 486
perform adequately as a router for a cable modem?

Thanks for your help and opinions,
Doug