Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2022 22:22:06 +0200
From:      Jesper Schmitz Mouridsen <jsm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Paul W. Rankin" <hello@paulwrankin.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which aarch64 release image is appropriate for the Pinebook Pro (rk3399)?

On 10.07.2022 07.27, Paul W. Rankin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Which aarch64 release image is appropriate for the Pinebook Pro (rk3399)?
>
> n.b. the Pinebook Pro is a different machine to the Pinebook (for which
> there exists a dedicated image).
>
> I seem to recall seeing somewhere to use the ROCKPRO64 and replace the
> bootloader? If so I’m comfortable doing this.
>
> I’m aware of the custom image by SleepWalker on the forum, but I’d
> prefer to use an official release image if possible. (Also this image
> requires an old version of u-boot, which necessitates disabling the
> PBP’s eMMC.)
>
> Warm regards,
> Paul

Hi
An official release is not really available yet, I wrote about the
subject in the FreeBSD Journal which tries to guide towards a recent
(mostly) official source build. The article is here
https://freebsdfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/FreeBSD-on-the-Pinebook-Pro.pdf
It has sounds pathces and panfrost and not the least a working display
port for the panel.
Some errors have probably sneaked in in the article please feel free to
complain to me/ask me for details. It might also already be a little
outdated IIRC for instance the mixer patch does not longer apply and is
not necessary any more.

Regards
Jesper