Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:23:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gary Lewandowski <lewandow@cerebro.xu.edu>
To:        worldly BSD <worldlybsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unable to login after changing shell as root

> > worldly BSD wrote:
> > >  while reading the handbook i decided to change my
> > > shell by following the example
> > >
> > > " % chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash"

[Large clunking sound of "no such file or directory" that locks him out
deleted...]

But, On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, worldly BSD wrote:

> your example assumes that i made another user account.

Ouch, bet that hurts. :-)

I thought toor was always added with a default install, but maybe not...
I have a long and tedious method that might work to solve this:
	1)  install FreeBSD on another system (or drive).  If you have the
	    distribution, the second CD has a live filesystem that will
	    work (assuming your machine boots CDs).
	2)  boot the working system and then mount your current system
	    to someplace like /mnt
	3)  edit /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd files to use the
	    correct path for the shell.

By the way, chsh gives a warning if the shell doesn't exist.  Double ouch!

gary