Date:      Tue, 14 Aug 2001 01:16:41 -0400
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Kulraj Gurm (bosa.ca Account)" <kulraj@bosa.ca>, "Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Network cards: 3com XL rumour ...

	My "weapon of choice" for machines that don't have an onboard NIC is the
SMC 9432TX.  10/100 PCI and it uses the DEC "Tulip" chipset.  There's a very
good reason why it's driver in FreeBSD is tx.  *grins*

	I've used this model NIC with every version of Windows since 95, with three
different versions of FreeBSD, RedHat 6.2 (why, I still haven't figured out)
and Solaris 7.  All of them have been able to autodetect and use this card
without a problem.

	And the good news, aside from SMC's lifetime free tech support (which is
great, BTW), these cards can be had for under $20 (I picked up my last batch
of them at $5 each).

--- Andy