Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:36:22 +1030
From:      Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java with simpler tools - question

j mckitrick wrote:
> So when you are developing Java under FreeBSD, and if you choose to use
> basic editors and not IDEs, what references do you keep open to
> substitute for all the API and Class help that IDEs normally offer?

Mozilla, and a copy of the Javadoc for all the APIs I'm using in the
project I'm working on. I usually find that well written Javadoc and
maybe some sample code is all I need to get up to speed with a
particular component or library.

If you have you Javadoc organised into a useful directory structure,
then add a bookmark on Moz's Personal Toolbar pointing to the root of
that directory structure, Moz will display the bookmark as a folder, and
allow you to navigate through all subdirectories thereof. This makes it
extremely easy to get to all of your documentation and because it
handles this automatically, you don't need to continually update your
bookmarks to point to any new additions.

BTW, whilst I did't point it out in the other "Which IDE?" thread, but I
use Emacs+JDE and Ant for all my Java development, and Moz for
documentation as outlined above.

HTH,
Mike.

--