Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:53:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install FreeBSD from another machine

On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> On [19991003 22:31], Zhihui Zhang (zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu) wrote:
>
> >I installed FreeBSD from CD-ROM and via FTP sites many times.  But
> >installing from a NFS server or another filesystem is not well documented.
> >So please give me a little more information.
>
> Simplest installs I did:
>
> insert CD in host. Mount CD-ROM. Insert bootdisks into the other hosts,
> configure everything. Configure network. Set installation media to use
> ftp and then specify an URL which is the address or ip-address of your
> host with the CD-ROM mounted. Log in as an user cd simply install from:
>
> ftp://host/../../../cdrom or something along those lines depending on
> set-up.
>
> Of course, you could also just change /etc/export, NFS mount the cd-rom
> driver and use the NFS install option.

Thanks for your reply. Today, I tried the following:

(1) Download CD image into /usr/cd_image/3.3-install.cd0

(2) vnconfig /dev/vn0 /usr/cd_image/3.3-install.cd0

(3) mount -t cd9660 /dev/vn0 /mnt

Can I use /mnt to replace the normal /cdrom which corresponds to the
actual CD-ROM not just a CD image? If so, there is no need to use a CD-ROM
as long as I keep the image on the hard disk.

-Zhihui