Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:07:42 -0800
From:      "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff_hamann@hamanndonald.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   network config or apache config or neither?

I've got a freebsd 4.4. machine (which rocks!)  that acts as my server
behind a
router to handle web servering, email, etc and have had almost zero problems
with the setup. When I attempt to set a browser from outside my lan (say
from a college campus nearby) I cannot get to my domain
(www.hamanndonald.com) with the www on the front. My ISP assures me that the
the values are in the DNS tables in their machines. The host command returns
the following....

$ host -all hamanndonald.com
rcode = 0 (Success), ancount=2
Found 1 addresses for ns2.peak.org
Found 1 addresses for ns.peak.org
Trying 206.163.129.2
Server failed, trying next server: Query refused
Trying 198.88.144.2
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        SOA     ns.peak.org
hostmaster.peak.org(
                        2002101102      ;serial (version)
                        21600   ;refresh period
                        900     ;retry refresh this often
                        3600000 ;expiration period
                        43200   ;minimum TTL
                        )
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        NS      ns.peak.org
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        NS      ns2.peak.org
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        A       198.88.146.57
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        MX      5 stimpy.hamanndonald.com
stimpy.hamanndonald.com 10800 IN        A       198.88.146.57
www.hamanndonald.com    10800 IN        CNAME   stimpy
hamanndonald.com        10800 IN        SOA     ns.peak.org
hostmaster.peak.org(
                        2002101102      ;serial (version)
                        21600   ;refresh period
                        900     ;retry refresh this often
                        3600000 ;expiration period
                        43200   ;minimum TTL
                        )

I don't know if this means the entry for www.hamanndonald.com is actually a
usable entry or not. I do know that when I set a browser to
http://hamanndonald.com the web page comes up, if I use www.hamanndonald.com
( I get the "cannot find page")..... The actual name of the machine that
handles the internet traffic is named stimpy...

Is this an issue with the DNS entry?
Is this a problem with my apache config?
Is this a problem with some other network setting in FreeBSD?

Help?

Jeff.

Jeff D. Hamann
Hamann, Donald & Associates, Inc.