Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:27:12 -0700
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What tty changes - question on porting ltmdm and hcfmdm to FreeBSD 8

Hi All,

  I have a pager monitoring system built on FreeBSD 6.4 that uses the
ltmdm driver.
(ltmdm is a "controllerless winmodem")

  I was looking into updating to FreeBSD 8 and I see that ltmdm and
hcfmdm are now
both broken.  hcfmdm broke on FreeBSD 7 but it is easily patched to
build on that.
ltmdm worked on early FreeBSD 8 but after the tty changes went in it broke.

  I was looking into fixing both of these to build on 8 but it seems to
be non-trivial.
They both spew all kinds of errors of missing various tty structures,
and when I
search for those in the include files for 8 I get nothing.  It seems
there's been a fundamental
change in FreeBSD 8 in this layer.

  In googling around I see that a number of other programs out there
that talk to
serial ports were also busted by the FreeBSD 8 tty changes.  Some have been
patched and some not.  The ones that have been patched do not seem to have
trivial patches made.

  Setting aside the question of why do we break software that a lot of
people use
(these chips are in use on a lot of laptops) is there a document
somewhere that explains
what changes need to be made in code for this new tty setup?  Or, is
there a set
of magic include files or a "conversion shim" library that will allow
these kinds
of programs to build without much work?

  Or is porting these drivers just so non-trivial that the only way is
to just delve into
the system manuals and delve into the driver code and try to figure out
what is
going on in each?  If that's the case that's probably beyond my ability
but I'd
be happy to serve as a testbed.

  Yes I know I can use FreeBSD 7 for now.  Yes I know I can use an external
modem, and that winmodems are evil, that I can send a page by e-mailing the
paging company , yadda yadda yadda.  If your only going to suggest a
workaround,
please don't.

Thanks!

 Ted