Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2020 16:09:38 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD 12.0 end-of-life
References:  <20200217231452.717FA1E820@freefall.freebsd.org> <CAFYkXjmZi1-MB6W0HsMx9gHek7Xg5heoSKKWkNTnw74dxRTwAw@mail.gmail.com> <ead08f6c-3dc4-210d-b321-549eb0ad721f@malikania.fr> <20200220154101.GA53326@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net> <CAFYkXjnKO2ayKjh4KKTL1y_rcMbF62CePMcG=Z3KVtptU%2BUGPQ@mail.gmail.com> <20200221010421.GA54290@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net> <CAFYkXjnJvfBi68Zg6gf8Jr3n4O9C=F3pM8rbHDGKcbmQE2DUMw@mail.gmail.com> <20200221055139.GA969@ghostyhead.chthonixia.net> <CAFYkXjkJoyh-n%2BXhAi%2B7WLRWgfZRzta9v=vSduqF=DdKABz=cg@mail.gmail.com>

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 10:14:09 +0100, Tomasz CEDRO wrote:
> This is exactly the reason why I have switched from nVidia to AMD
> RADEON and planning no return!!
>
> Because nVidia does not provide documentation nor support to
> Open-Source, only binary blobs, you start to think that their drivers
> are the best because "they just work"^TM. Nothing more misleading!
>
> nVidia seems to have no respect in the Open-Source community. I was
> also astonished with that being their 20 years long loyal customer.
>
> When you look at the true Open-Source drivers, you will notice they
> are poor and you cannot really do anything more with nVidia than just
> display.

Exactly my impression. While there are several (I think, 3)
open source nVidia drivers, all of them have problems. Some
just offer 3D graphics, others won't work in 64 bit OS mode,
and others just freeze when being loaded. The binary blob is
the only way to get proper 3D support.

> Open-Source RADEON drivers in general are by some considered even
> better than binary blobs provided by AMD.

Interesting. This seems to be a "ride back to the past" where
ATI (which was the typical brand name of the Radeon-type GPUs
at that time) was always superior to nVidia: 3D support out of
the box, with the standard drivers included with X. Then there
was a time where nVidia was considered better than ATI / AMD
(again, judging from the binary blob driver!), and today, AMD
using the open source drivers seems to be the way to go.

> Here comes the development of DRM layer that is something brand new in
> FreeBSD that will support all new GPU in a truly Open-Source fashion
> (but hey where does that firmware comes from??).

Don't ask the firmware question. Don't ask _any_ questions
going below the visibility level. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany