Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:58:54 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
Cc:        Barney Wolff <barney@pit.databus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7-R-p3: j.root-servers.net

> On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Barney Wolff wrote:
>
> > And of course, using the "alternate" roots is evil.
>
> Why is that then?  I'm slaving the OpenNIC ones here without any
> trouble.  DNS just being an information service in the end I can't see
> why there has to be the only one of its type.  In fact, how can it be a
> standard if there is only one implementation? :-)

	Did you ever here the term "natual monopoly".  The DNS root
	is a example of such.  When you try to change it all you
	do is reproduce it with additional unnecessary baggage like
	have to find all the "roots" to register the new TLD in.

> I can think of some very good reasons *to* have multiple roots, for one
> allowing new TLD domains to evolve spontaneously, and secondly to
> prevent TLD and subdomains from coming under control of oppressive
> governments and quasi-government agencies like ICANN.

	And why do you think that you should have the right to
	create arbitary new TLDs?  Hell I would like the "prestige"
	of my own TLD but I know that it is *not* in the best
	interests of the world as a whole to have lots to TLDs which
	is the natural consequence to allowing anyone to set one
	up.  In the end you end up with a massive root zone (similar
	to the COM zone) that requires very large machines to serve
	it or requires many smaller machines with a fancy front end.

> AFAIK .za had to
> move to the UK a while back precisely to avoid takeover by the South
> African government, but even so, one fixed root is bound to lead to
> increasing political control in the end.

	Well "za" should have known from the start that the South
	African government would possible want control at some point
	in time.  It was quite evident from the start that governments
	would eventually wake up to the fact that the Internet
	existed and the naming structure included country codes.

	I know Robert Elz was aware that this was a possibility
	when "au" was established.  That's also why we use "oz"
	not "au" for the top level of ACSnet.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org