Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:01:36 +1100
From:      "Michael Vince" <michael@roq.com>
To:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SSH

------=_NextPart_000_027E_01C1AE77.88EF2600

Hey all.
I was thinking about setting up a maximum lazyness maximum security =
security policy for my self.
I just wanted to know how dangerous are ssh keys with no password =
phrases? I mean if some one is packet sniffing you how much more bad is =
it to have a ssh2 key with no pass phrase compared to one that does..
And how bad would it be to have all the servers I have access to with =
different keys but the exact same password phrase like "pepsi"?
And is it more secure to have a pass phraseless (no pass phrase) ssh key =
compared to just using ssh with no keys and just using a password that =
belongs to the unix account?
I just find my self having alot of passwords to remember and looking and =
changing the way I do things.

------=_NextPart_000_027E_01C1AE77.88EF2600

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hey all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I was thinking about setting up a =
maximum lazyness=20
maximum security security policy for my self.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just wanted to know how dangerous are =
ssh keys=20
with no password phrases? I mean if some one is packet sniffing you how =
much=20
more bad is it to have a ssh2 key with no pass phrase compared to one =
that=20
does..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And how bad would it be to have all the =
servers I=20
have access to with different keys but the exact same password phrase =
like=20
"pepsi"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>And is it more secure to have =
a&nbsp;pass=20
phraseless (no pass phrase)&nbsp;ssh key compared to just using ssh with =
no keys=20
and just using a password that belongs to the unix account?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just find my self having alot of =
passwords to=20
remember and looking and changing the way I do things.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_027E_01C1AE77.88EF2600--