Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/28193: xchat unable to connect to IRC server

The following reply was made to PR ports/28193; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To: Goran Pejkovski <gpejko@hotmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, anders@fix.no
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:36:19 -0400

 On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 at 04:35:07 +0200, Goran Pejkovski wrote:

 [snip...]

 >     State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 >     State-Changed-By: jim
 >     State-Changed-When: Mon Jun 18 15:19:06 PDT 2001
 >     State-Changed-Why:
 >     This is pilot error.  Both xchat ports work properly when
 >     configured correctly.
 >
 >     http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28193
 >

 > Anders,
 > I filled up all fields (username+realname+nickname(s)) in X-Chat =>
 > Server-List  as I always did since X-Chat 1.4.0 but that doesn't help,
 > that's why I reported this problem. I have been using X-Chat in
 > various versions of Linux and FreeBSD 4.2 and I never had this
 > problem.  I thougt that 1.6.4 from ports have some problems, so I
 > upgraded it to 1.7.1 from ports but I had the same problems. X-Chat
 > does not need identd to work properly. BTW, ksirc works properly.

 Nobody said xchat required identd to work properly, but a lot of IRC
 servers won't allow you to connection without ident.

 > Jim,
 > What do you think under "pilot error" and "when configured correctly"?
 > There's not much to configure on X-Chat and it is not my first time
 > using it.  If I am the only person with this problem you can consider
 > it as pilot error, and close this case. Can you tell me what I have to
 > configure, so my X-Chat can work properly.

 I can't duplicate this on any of my machines with either 1.6.4 or 1.7.7.
 It's also the first report I've had of this problem.  With as many
 people using xchat as there are, I would've had a full mailbox in no
 time from people bitching that it didn't work :-)

 - jim

 --
 - jim mock <jim@compete.com>      www.compete.com - jim@FreeBSD.org -
 - senior systems administrator - Compete, Inc. - ph: 1.617.867.7035 -