Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 14:59:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        steve@visint.co.uk (Stephen Roome)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: catching a powerfail NMI

> (This is serious)
>
> I'm looking at the possibilty of using the powerfail NMI
> which seems to already have some code for it in
> /sys/i386/i386/trap.c
>
> Basically, with a bunch of capacitors and a monostable we think we can
> make a very cheap UPS, which gives long enough to get the system to do
> little more than just fasthalt or somesuch.
:-).

1 Farad == 1V drop per amp every second.

Say that you have .5 Farads (500 000 Microfarads), and a 15 Amp load,
then you will have 1/30 of a second before you loose a Volt.  .5 Farads
is a lot of capacitance.  (The little low-current supercaps notwithstanding.)

I guess that you do have a lot of capacitors!!!

John