Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 17:51:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        brian@hyperreal.org (Brian Behlendorf)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, tlambert@primenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

According to Brian Behlendorf:

> Didn't a number of the PC-based Unix "vendors" (including Linus himself)
> get together recently and decide to work together on a common binary code
> format?  Anyone have a reference for that?

	I read that somewhere:: EE TIMES, maybe... ((?))

> I'll agree that it's usually politics and hubris that keep the BSD's from
> merging more than anything else.  It doesn't mean there are bits and pieces
> that couldn't be integrated, and that there wouldn't be benefit from doing so.

	Yes, and a common set of source-only ports for the *BSD's and
	*Linux's (and the HURD) is the best place to start.  Not only
	the major ports that can be ftp'd, but the more obscure freeware
	projects are candidates.  Something like PTF, but that would
	work after only a compile.  No tweaking, no head-pounding.

	I understand Jordan's need to focus on FBSD, of course.  This
	might be a niche for enterprising hackers who can invest
	hundred-hour weeks for months, years.

	gary

	PS to Terry Lambert:  Your last note was well-written and
			      insightful++;  that about summed it up.

   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix