Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFENET.com>
To:        opsys@mail.webspan.net
Cc:        batie@agora.rdrop.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

   Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:14:37 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>

   On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Alan Batie wrote:

   > Just add a bit more to the general Linux indignation running around here,
   > check out yesterday's Linux piece on NPR at
   >
   >     http://www.npr.org/news/tech/

   Grrrr. See this is the problem. We are not even mentioned. We DONT EXIST.
   We're invisible to alot of people. I think were making a big mistake not
   taking advantage of this PR ploy of the mozilla CVS tree. We should be
   mailing PR's to all the online news sources.

I don't think it is appropriate to be peeved at NPR for not mentioning
FreeBSD in a 7 minute story on Linux, free operating systems and free
software in general.  Consider that they had to explain what an OS is,
what source code is, why having it might be a good thing, etc.
The story of a lone hacker in benighted Finland beating the best of
the commercial offerings is compelling and, distorted as that might
be, is likely to be of more interest to listeners than anything about
FreeBSD.

It's amazing to hear Linus Torvalds and RMS on national radio and have
the story, mostly of interest to geeks like us, exposed to a mass audience
(well, a fairly self-selective, intellectual audience).  It's
great that NPR story increases the awareness of free software; I think
that will ultimately help the FreeBSD cause even if we weren't
mentioned on the air.

Tim