Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 16:01:35 +0000
From:      Justin Ashworth <ashworth@spacehog.structured.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Accessing local web page

I cannot for the life of me access my web page
(http://spacehog.structured.net) from my own machine. I can't even
access it with http://localhost. However, I can access my page from
other machines with no problem. I can reach other sites fine, so my
/etc/resolv.conf is OK. I figure my problem most likely lies in my
/etc/hosts file, but I can't figure out where. My /etc/hosts looks like
this:

-------------------
127.0.0.1               localhost
206.58.33.145           spacehog.structured.net spacehog
-------------------

My host.conf places bind before hosts, but I've tried the other way
around as well. I'm not running bind on my machine. I'm starting Apache
in standalone mode (vs. inetd). "ifconfig -a" spits out the following:

-------------------
lp0: flags=8810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 206.58.33.145 --> 206.58.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

Looks healthy to me. I'm dialing up to a Portmaster running Radius for
authentication. I have a static IP and a 24x7 connection.

I seem to have tried everything, but maybe somebody else can see
something I can't.

Thanks...

Justin Ashworth, Intern               Structured Network Systems
justin@structured.net                 http://www.structured.net
Texas law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.