Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:10:00 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Letter to List

BTW: everything to the list is open.

On 26 Apr 99, at 9:21, David Anderson wrote:

> Could I be so bold as to ask what criteria is used to determine which
> questions (posted to the list) are answered first (or at all)?

They are answered by volunteers.  Each decides what they want to do.
There is no criteria.  If I feel I know the answer, I'll answer.  If I
think I know where the answer may be, I'll send the person there.

> I had noticed that some folks manage to get 2 and 3 postings answered
> consequtively while my newbie posting appears to be avoided =)

Probably because nobody knew what the answer was.  Remember to have a
subject which describes what the problem is and include the information
which will help others to answer.  It might have been a weekend when the
one person that knew the answer went away.

Looking back through my deleted messages, I found your message titled
"Help Please - Newbie Adding User".  Perhaps "adduser fails" would have
been more appropriate.  I suggest you repost your message with a different
title and tell people what version of FreeBSD you are running.

> What do I draw from this? That my question is too basic and others are
> given priority because they are more interesting to the respondents? I'm
> puzzled......

You may draw that if you wish.  I would say you would be wrong.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/