Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 12:49:37 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help me please.. :)

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> writes:

>There are hundreds of bugs here :-).  We need to support multiple
>machines someday.  Then files in /usr/include/machine can't work even if
>it is a symlink.  A symlink is still better because it can be changed
>much faster.

I agree there are MANY bugs. However, the "bug" is that any code relies on
/usr/include/..., per se, at all.

/usr/include should be used ONLY for applications to be run on THIS machine
and under THIS version of the operating system.

In general, the path to the appropriate include files needs to be a parameter
of the Makefiles with the default becoming "/usr/include/" for applications.

If someone is compiling a new version of the operating system, they should
be required to specify the appropriate include environment for that
configuration.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net