Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:25:51 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joe Pellegrino <jdp@ripe.net>
Subject:   ip options on udp sockets

Why are IP options not passed to userland on a udp socket?
(and on all other transport protocols for that matter)

We created such an implementation by just returning it in the ancillary
data control message. (Only for IP timestamps which we needed but this
could be easily done for all IP options)

If there is any good (maybe historic) reason why this is not done and why
it should not be done I would like to hear that.

We also created a kernel option to threat the IP timestamp as
microseconds instead of milliseconds to make the measurements more useful.

If there is interest we are more than happy to submit the code to the
project.

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos				RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/		New Projects Group/TTM