Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:30:43 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        "John W" <jwdevel@gmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can anyone reproduce this Samba problem?

> Interestingly, if I turn off 'inherit permissions', then 'inherit
> owner' DOES take effect correctly. However, that means the sticky=20
> bit
> does not get inherited, which will not work for me. I need both to=20
> be
> inherited, and for some reason they are behaving mutually-exclusive
> (with 'inherit permissions' taking precedence).

If I understood your problem correctly, you don't actually want to set=20
sticky bit on the root directory, but suid - so the chmod would be=20
like

chmod 4xxx mydir

In FreeBSD suid-bitted directory will make all the subdirs to inherit=20
the owner.

Sticky bit causes bit different behaviour - see sticky (8) and=20
chmod(1)

-Reko=20