Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 23:42:05 +0100
From:      Manar Hussain <manar@ivision.co.uk>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how many virtual www server on a 2.2.6 PPro machine ?

I know someone who got to 1000 sites but it killed the machine (bit more
work on config and RAM etc. would have cured it though). No several
machines running fine with 600 off servers. Make sure there are enough
mbufs and file handles available (preferably avoid too many file handles
being needed by not giving all sites their own logs unless needed) and
you're a good way there ...

>memory did'nt fail). One suggestion was to alias your loopback
>interface with all that ip's and put a static route on your
>router that points to the whole class-c on your box. This avoids
>all the ARP entries on your ethernet (and I think the arp tables
>are not very huge).

we do that ... not got too many interfaces on that box yet though so it's
hard to say if it makes much difference. More convenient on the ip address
tracking though :)

Manar