Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 22:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        "Watung Arif B." <watung@bandung.wasantara.net.id>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending FreeBSD via e-mail

On Sun, 6 Oct 1996, Watung Arif B. wrote:

> I wanna install FreeBSD at my PC. But right know my internet connection
> is so slow to use the FTP site (it will take about 13 hours for me to
> just downloading the entire bin directory).
>
> Could you send me the FreeBSD programs via email?

The following is quoted from the RELNOTES.TXT file somewhere around
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-2.1.5-RELEASE (or something like
that).

I deleted all but the pertinent information.

I don't know if the ftp-mail thingy will work.  They're not joking when
they say "only as a last resort", so I suspect it's never been tested for
a long long time (if ever).

Your ftp may be faster if you use a mirror instead.  Alternatively, you
could buy a CD from WC, or the local computer store _might_ have one.

--

For other locations that mirror the FreeBSD software see the file
MIRROR.SITES.  Please ftp the distribution from the site closest (in

If you do not have access to the internet and electronic mail is your
only recourse, then you may still fetch the files by sending mail to
`ftpmail@decwrl.dec.com' - putting the keyword "help" in your message
to get more information on how to fetch files using this mechanism.
Please do note, however, that this will end up sending many *tens of
megabytes* through the mail and should only be employed as an absolute
LAST resort!

2. CDROM

FreeBSD 2.1 may be ordered on CDROM from:

        Walnut Creek CDROM
        4041 Pike Lane, Suite D
        Concord CA  94520
        1-800-786-9907, +1-510-674-0783, +1-510-674-0821 (fax)

Or via the internet from orders@cdrom.com or http://www.cdrom.com.
Their current catalog can be obtained via ftp as:
        ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/cdrom/catalog.

Walnut Creek CDROM also sells a full line of FreeBSD related
merchandise such as T-shirts ($14.95, available in "child", Large and
XL sizes), coffee mugs ($9.95), tattoos ($0.25 each) and posters
($3.00).

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk