Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 00:31:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Cc:        portmaster-users@livingston.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connection Refused when telnet to PM2eR30 (fwd)

On Tue, 28 May 1996, MegaZone wrote:
> Think of BSD like Dodge, then FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSDI BSD/OS, etc are all
> makes of cars - Daytona, Viper, Stealth.

No, BSD is Chevy, SYSV is um... Kia. (Dude, but it can sure chase that
Toyota around can't it.)

> They aren't the same, and building an aftermarket component (our software)
> for one does not equate to building it for another.  So we have to pick
> which ones to build for,

FreeBSD is this huge monster truck with a bright yellow rollbar and, like
14 KC lights on it.

> NetBSD is a small market, so it isn't considered worth the investment in
> time, effort, and money to build for it.  Not enough return.

NetBSD is the Exxon Valdez filled all the way up with MicroMachines
(damnit, they're the REAL thing!) and Transformers.  (Not the new crappy
ones, the old real ones.  (Man, what was up with those constructicons
anyway?))

> BSDI BSD/OS is a very large market, with a lot of demand.  So we build
> software for it because the return on it makes it worth the effort.

BSDI is a bright pink ElCamino.  Nuff said.  (Ok, it has a nifty chrome
job and a cooler with a case of Bud in the back.  And maybe a chick from
last year's swedish bikini team.)

> FreeBSD is a decent market, but not as much demand as BSDI (or many other
> OS platforms for that matter).  Alone it really isn't worth the effort
> and investment right now.  However, there are adaptor kits that allow our
> add-ons for BSDI to connect to a FreeBSD chassis (FreeBSD can run BSDI
> binaries).  So we don't have to make the investment in building and
> maintaining code for FreeBSD as FreeBSD owners can run the binaries we
> build for BSDI with the appropriate compatibility package.  And more
> than that, there are Linux binary compatibility packages out too - so they
> have the choice of two binaries.

Heh... Just track BSDI, the compat code will do the rest.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|