Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:14:20 -0500
From:      Tim <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: eXperimental bandwidth delay product code (was Re: Network performance tuning.)
References:  <200107130128.f6D1SFE59148@earth.backplane.com> <200107130217.f6D2HET67695@revolt.poohsticks.org> <20010712223042.A77503@ussenterprise.ufp.org> <200107131708.f6DH8ve65071@earth.backplane.com> <20010713132903.A21847@ussenterprise.ufp.org> <200107131847.f6DIlJv67457@earth.backplane.com> <200107150943.f6F9hhx06763@earth.backplane.com> <20010715061915.A59691@futuresouth.com> <200107151657.f6FGv5308274@earth.backplane.com>

Ah, I didn't realize that it only affects the transmit end - so I am
guessing it is similar to what ALTQ does?

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that it was an idle link - I saturated the
link with a download in the background while testing.  I am also running
an MTU of 576 already.

Note that I could get the effect I want with Dummynet and introduce
probability packet loss on traffic other than interactive traffic but it
completely kill performance on everything else (not necessarily a bad
thing).  One of my colleagues use Dummynet and allocate 1kb/s to ssh and
that seems to strive a somewhat better balance.  He only turns it on when
he's downloading something though - where I'd like to find a scenario
where I can leave it on permanently.

It would be nice for us lowly dial-up users to allow some sort of transfer
on the background and still have a reasonable interactive performance -
with reasonable total throughput to boot.  Maybe it's easier to get that
DSL connection (I would have already, if I don't hate our ILEC so much).

Thanks,

Tim