Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:58:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, stable@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Oct 20 snap install...

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> John Fieber stands accused of saying:
> > > What boot name did you use? If you use ``hd(1,a)/kernel'' you should
> > > be OK. Can't remember - it's been so long since I needed to use it :-)
> >
> > Hm.... `hd(1,a)/kernel' does work.  I was try `sd(0,a)/kernel' which had
> > the very counter-intuitive result of booting from wd0.  However, `-r' is a
> > little quicker to type...
>
> The comment about hd(1,a) is even in the boot banner.  Dunno where else
> it could be put 8)

On one line of the boot prompt it say hd(1,a), and another line says
wd(0,a). There is a potential confliciting message there.  Someone who
knows that FreeBSD refers to disks as either wd or sd, hd(1,a) could
easily be interpreted as meaning you should type sd(1,a) or wd(1,a) to
boot from the second disk, be it SCSI or ide.  Personally, I've always
been puzzled by the first line in the boot prompt.  Again, I think it
would be really nifty to move some of this boot configuration stuff into
userconfig where there is a bit more room to provide a usable interface.

> There's a #define for /sys/i386/boot/biosboot/boot.c - BOOT_HD that
> builds a bootblock that boots from the _second_ bios disk, but passes
> in a minor number of 0 to the kernel.  This is what's required to make
> the above scenario work.

Thanks for the tip.  Looks like my course in 80x86 assembly may finally
be of some use...

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============