Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 22:18:53 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        Lars Fredriksen <lars@fredriks-1.pr.mcs.net>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent (last two days) smp kernel is hanging for me

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> Lars,
>
> ---
> Would all current users of supermicro motherboards & SMP please send in
> a fresh mptable output?  read further for details.
>
> ---
> > > so just for grins modify sys/i386/i386/mp_machdep.c:
> > >
> > > get_pci_apic_irq(int pciBus, int pciDevice, int pciInt)
> > > {
> > > 	int     intr;
> > >
> > > 	--pciInt;		/* zero based */
> > >
> > > +	if ( pciDevice == 17 ) return 16;
> > > +	else if ( pciDevice == 18 ) return 17;
> > > +	else if ( pciDevice == 19 ) return 18;
> > >
> > > 	for (intr = 0; intr < nintrs; ++intr)	/* search each record */
> > >

> > Hi Steve,
> > 	Well it worked (for the most part)!!! The only thing that doesn't work
> > right now is X. The videocard seems to get its dma or something similar screwed
> > up. The cursor is there but the image is not (just a couple of random(seemingly
> > so) vertical lines). The output of mptable didn't change but that is probably
> > not surprising.
>
> I assumme that X works OK in same setup but with UP kernel.  Does this card
> actually use INTs?
>
> So as long as grinning seems to work, can you rearrange the cards so that
> the VGA tries to use pin 20? In other words get it next to the ahc1 card
> so that it tries to share an INT with it.  This will probably reguire minor
> changes to the patch I sent, but they should be obvious.
>
>  Having said this I CANNOT think of any reason X should break relative to
> the APIC code...  I've never seen a modern PCI VGA card that actually uses
> INTs.  If anyone has theories for this please shout.

Well, actually they do. Or at least seem to be. If I remember right, the
docu that came with my Diamont Video Vram 64 card claim that with the
optional harhware MPEG daughtercard it uses interrupts (for sunc with
sound or something like that).

Also - the ATI cards seem to be using interrupts - maybe in certain
situations, but they are. For what? I don't know. But you will lose an INT
to it under Windows, and in the case of sharing berformance (no, it was
not my machine and not a FreeBSD machine - SawPlus runs exclusively on
that machine and the ATI has been replaced for a S3 since).

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.