Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:28:02 -0500
From:      Matthew Pope <mpope@teksavvy.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   confessions of a FreeBSD purist

Dear FreeBSD community,

It has been wonderful being a full-fledged member of this community, an
administrator running FreeBSD on bare hardware (in his basement) for
years.  This is the coolest, hippiest, historically pure, and most
technically advanced UNIX community on the planet (I'm one of the more
long in the tooth members.)  I used Dummynet about four years ago to
replay bad Internet weather and prove my hypothesis of what servers
caused failure in a multi-tier, forex trading system failure.

This week I reformatted the last two machines in my basement running
FreeBSD. I feel really guilty.  I installed Ubuntu (10.04) because its
GUI is great, its very well supported, and I had a heck of a time
keeping my FreeBSD jails configured and stable, and I'd stopped running
a web site for a while now.

I installed 10.04 instead of 12.04 because on another machine I had
attempted to upgrade to 12.04 LTS while running the dual boot
configuration, and it trashed my MBR (a known defect.) You have been
warned, etc. It also has that radically different GUI, and really
annoying, an entirely different directory tree on the disk.  FreeBSD
contributors would never tamper so much with something that worked so well.

However, I do need to run a web site again, and I am more than convinced
on the superior performance, and hardening possible with FreeBSD bind,
and Apache running in jails. However, I'd like to run FreeBSD in a
VMWare or VirtualBox VMs.  This gives me the ability to take snapshots
to recover easily when I break something. Computing resources are like
candy these days.  My fast box has 4 screaming fast processors with 8 GB
of RAM, and that is a three year old machine.  There is no reason
FreeBSD cannot run with adequate performance in a VM and run bind, and
perhaps on another physical box, have a FreeBSD VM running Apache, both
in jails.  I know others are doing it.

Could anyone be kind enough to recommend a free, or share their own
FreeBSD VM image that has bind pre-configured in a jail, and / or an
Apache web server pre-configured in a jail, for a non-commercial site?
With this configuration I can revert after breaking something as an
over-eager, semi-qualified system administrator.

Cheers,
Matthew (in Toronto)