Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:13:13 -0800
From:      Aaron Nichols <adnichols@gmail.com>
To:        Andrew Smith <andsmith@andsmith.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipf firewall questions

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:21:47 -0500, Andrew Smith <andsmith@andsmith.com> wrote:
> I'm using ipf as my firewall, and I can't figure out why OWA is being blocked going to 172.20.0.11.  Below is the current config file which works.  But if I removed the fourth line, my users can't access OWA externally.  I would have thought the lines: pass out quick from 172.20.0.0/24 to any keep state and pass in quick from any to 172.20.0.0/24 would have superceded the line block out log proto tcp from any to any port = 80.
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Andrew

> #
> # Permit Outlook Web Access
> #
> pass in quick proto tcp from any to 172.20.0.11 port = 80 keep state

Sorry - I missed the very first rule - how thorough of me.

Given that - and my lack of familiarity with ipf vs. ipfw or pf - I'd
say the problem may be the lack of any "check state" type rule which
applies to the response traffic. I haven't exhaustively looked at the
man page on ipf to verify this, but reviewing what rules will cause
ipf to check for any existing states may help. If they are hitting
that rule and nothing below is catching response traffic based on
existing states then I'm guessing that is what's needed.

Sorry for the confusion on the last post and my apologies if this one
causes any more.

Aaron

Aaron