Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 13:30:58 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Kerwin <KerwinL@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command & Permission Denied....

Kerwin said on Jun  7, 2000 at 02:55:51:
> Please help me out in here.... im new in FreeBSD and i'm getting a lil' frustrated.
>
> Howcome I always get a 'Permission Denied' everytime I put down a command???  Even if i want to it shutdown like 'shutdown -now'
> it always comes out this "Permission Denied"?????

Some commands, such as shutdown, can only be executed by the
superuser, ie root.  You can either log in on the console as root,
or use the "su" command to become root from your regular account.

In either case you need to supply the root password; you'd have been
asked to select a root password during the install process.
In case you forgot the root password, reboot in single user mode (you
can usually use ctrl-alt-del from the console to reboot) and when you
get the root prompt, use "passwd" to change the root password.

> Also, Howcome i always get this '$' rather than '#' on my begining statement????
>
> does it makes any difference if it's '$' or this '#'???? If so, how can change "$" to "#"????

Conventionally # is the prompt for the superuser, so it is not a good
idea to use it for a normal user.  You can set your prompt to
something else, though: see the man page for your shell.

Rahul.