Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 20:39:28 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

At 3:18 PM -0700 7/14/99, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>    This conversation is getting silly.  Do you actually believe
>    that an operating system can magically protect itself 100%
>    from armloads of hostile users?
>
>    Give me a break.  You people are crazy.  If you have something
>    worthwhile to say i'll listen, but these "the sky is falling!"
>    arguments are idiotic.

Hmm.  I didn't notice any sky-is-falling arguments in this thread,
so I finally started looking around to see why such nasty replies
keep showing up to what I considered reasonable questions...

So, I finally looked back into the "replacement for grep" thread
(which I have been ignoring ever since it stopped talking about
the grep replacement), and I see this topic is being thrashed to
death over there.  I still think there could be some useful
discussion on what I was *trying* to talk about here, but I
guess it will have to wait until some other time given how
exasperated people are getting.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute