Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 12:33:12 -0400
From:      "Mark Jones" <mjones@mco.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   multi-homed

    We have two T1's one sprint one uu-net. I have configured a webserver
machine with one ethernet card to have two ip addresses, one on the sprint
feed and one on the uu-net feed. The default route is set to the uu-net
feed. I have set our dns to round robin the hostname between the two ip
addresses.

When some one trys to access the server the rodrobin 50/50 between the two
addresses no problem but the reply goes out the default route (the uu-net
feed).

I am looking for two options here.
A) if the request comes in on one feed the reply goes out the same.
B) it uses the default route unless that feed is down then it switches to
the other feed.

I think routed will do it but have no clue as to how. Going full multihomed
with bgp etc is not an option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark Jones
Technical Services Manager