Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:31:59 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help recovering from tape (partially overwritten)

Ugh...

I've been there before... One of our customers had an HP 9000 and did very
similar (the tape didn't eject and their backup started 'running over' the top
of the previous nights backup, then failed...)

I spent a day trying to get the data back... Attempts ranged from doing weird
& wonderful things with cpio, tar etc. - and ended with me getting a crash
course in IOCTL's, device drivers, mt and the way data's written on tape...

Unfortunately, at the end of the day (and after searching the internet etc.) -
it looked like it couldn't be done easily. The main problem is the moment you
hit CTRL-C, the tape would have had a double end marker written to it, and
most DAT drives (the numerous ones we tried included Wang, HP, Viper etc.) -
will refuse to go beyond the mark, it's practically in the drives firmware.

Having said that - we came up with a proposed suggestion - which was rejected
at the time, that is to get the DAT to go as far as it can - pull the power on
it, then wind the tape on by hand past the fatal end markers - and try from
there on (don't ask how we'd stop the tape from being rewound when the system
came up ;-)... This was rejected in favour of sending the tapes to a data
recovery service - who did manage to get the data back, I suspect either by
using similar means (<g>) - or by using bespoke software / drivers etc.

In my endeavours I'd got as far as the SCSI subsystem, and sending scsi
commands directly to the tape, which on an HP 9000 with 2 'fridges' worth of
drives (fortunately it was a 'dev' box with not many users logged in, as
opposed to a production server) is as scary as I wanted it to get, it was also
around then we'd run out of time... (but I seem to remember even at that level
the stupid DAT didn't want to go further than the double end markers)... :-(

Good luck, and if the data is very valuable try contacting a data recovery
service... (ps. Make sure the tapes write protected now!)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz