Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:36:54 -0400
From:      Chris Slothouber <chris@hier7.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Terabyte harddisks, GELI, AMD64, Samba and Zen...

Solon Luigi Lutz wrote:
>>> after some troubleshooting and some hours of memory tests, it
>>> finaly seems to be a hardware problem...
>>> The machine is based on an ASUS M2N4-SLI (Nforce4) and since the
>>> heat-sink on the north/southbridge is rather small and passive,
>>> the chip seems to get too hot. I manufactured a massive one from
>>> a IGBT heat-sink and since 20 hours the machine is doing ftp-transfers
>>> without any reboots - I keep my fingers crossed...
>
> CS> I have had similar reboot issues with this board, especially when
> CS> sustaining high levels of i/o traffic.  Active cooling for chipset seems
> CS> to help a lot.
>
> CS> - Chris Slothouber
>
> Cooling seems to be the point - 36 hours without reboots. Previously
> you burn your fingers on the heat-sink, now it has surface temperature
> of 28C.
> As I havn't put any effort in that field; can you recommend a way of
> monitoring the temperature? Healthd? Kernel option?

As far as I can tell, there are only two temperature sensors accessible
via the BIOS, CPU and MB.  I'm not sure of the location of the MB sensor
is located but it doesn't seem to correspond directly to the chipset health.

I've used mbmon + cacti to keep an RRD history of the temperature and
fan speeds.

- Chris Slothouber