Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:36:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Uncle Flatline <flatline@pchb1f.gallaudet.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7 questions/problems from a former Linux, new FreeBSD user

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Uncle Flatline wrote:

> [------------------<80-column fixed-width text follows>------------------]
> I apologize for the length of the message, but this is a log of problems that

The first line blows it :)

OK, here we go.

> 1) A few days ago, (Saturday, Jan 31, 1998) I followed the directions on
>    the FreeBSD home page which fetched the 2.2.5-RELEASE boot disk.  This
>    loaded an out-of-date ports collection.  Should this page be changed?
>    (The FAQ mentions RELEASE, CURRENT, and STABLE, but only discusses
>    CURRENT and STABLE.)

The ports colletion is snapshoted at the time of release.
Unfortunately the world moves on and the distfiles get out of date.  In
this case, check ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current.

> 2) Dual boot doesn't detect Win95. Worked fine with Linux.  Layout:
>       Primary IDE Master:   1081 MB hard disk, FreeBSD, BootEasy
> 			    (formerly Slackware Linux, LILO)
>       Primary IDE Slave:    Empty
>       Secondary IDE Master: 2441 MB hard disk, Win95
>       Secondary IDE Slave:  CD-ROM

That is probably a Booteasy-ism.  Try OS-BS, it's in the toos/ directory.

> 3) When connecting via a multiplexer (DECserver/Vista) over a phone line
>    the username is accepted, but the password seems to ignore the carriage
>    return.  The system waits forever for the password to be entered.  (It
>    seems that typing <LF> (^J) directly gets around this problem.  But that's
>    ugly!)

This is a known bug and we've been trying to squash it for ages.  Can you
set up your Vista to not expect DOS-style carriage returns?

> 4) When telnetting to my Linux host, the system correctly translates
>    IP name to IP numeric address, tells me it's connected, and then
>    immediately says "Connection closed by foreign host".  Telnetting
>    from FreeBSD to other machines is fine, as is telnetting to the Linux
>    machine from anything other than the FreeBSD machine.  (Is this some
>    authentication thing that I turned on during the install?  Can I correct
>    things without reinstalling?)

Sounds like tcp wrappers are on on the Linux box and your FreeBSD machine
is blocked out.  Also try disabling tcp_extensions in /etc/rc.conf.

> 5) When telnetting anywhere, it never seems to get the terminal emulation
>    right, though I thought I had forced it to do that.  Related issue:
>    The kernel LINT config file, and the handbook say "Enable this and
>    PCVT_FREEBSD" with regards to vt220 emulation.  I take it PCVT_FREEBSD
>    is an options line that I should include?  (Also, where can I get an
>    idea what the standard SCO console is like?  Is it worse?  Better?
>    Merely different? Can I have both vt0 and sc0?)

You can't have both.  If you run pcvt, you loose some graphics
functionality on the console.  If you don't plan on doing anything
spiffy-keen on the console then don't worry about it.  You can teach Linux
about cons25, though, check the mail archives.

> 6) Recompilation of kernel lost the JAZ drive (and never got me the audio
>   (SB) support.) How important is the order of the lines in the kernel
>   config file? I tried to arrange mine in what I thought was a logical
>   order:

Order is somewhat significant.  Particularly the network devices.  What
type of Jaz is it?  SCSI?

>    Recompiling with the order that LINT uses got the JAZ drive back, but
>    I'm still stuck with no sound.  P'n'P problem???  I don't want to turn it
>    off if I can avoid it.

If it's a new SB16 you need PnP support.  Install 2.26 when it's releasd
and you'll be happy.

> 7) STUPID IDEA: Why does chsh do so much more than it should and badly?
>    It should just change the shell, not bring up an editor. I decided to
>    change the sell of my root account.  It not only displayed the shell,
>    but a password line.  I hadn't set my password yet at that point, so
>    I attempted to set it from the chsh command.  It proceeded to store
>    the UNENCRYPTED password in master.passwd (and god knows where else).

chsh was targeted at changing the user-modifiable parameters in the
password file.  We could use a shell-picker tool; let us know if you write
anything neat.

BTW chsh as root lets you modify everything (a la chpass or vipw).

You figured out to NOT modify passwd firectly and use vipw, right?
Linux users usually miss that the first few times :)