Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 13:45:15 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        "George M. Ellenburg" <gme@inspace.net>, "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FW: Touching Base

> > Let me also give you a quick update on the FreeBSD situation.  When I
> > run
> > that "tar x" while sitting at the console I see "Memory Parity Error".
> >  But
> > I ran several iterations of the CheckIt memory diagnostic with its most
> > advanced testing options and it's not turning up any errors, so I tend
> > believe it's a software problem.  I have definitely seen software bugs
> hackers.  Anyhow, it's not possible to test memory using a PC.  The only
> way to do it is with an expensive piece of test equipment.  The return
> from Checkit is only good for complete failures; any other indication
> isn't worth anything at all.
>
> I mean that -- checkit is worthless to catch anything but gross memory
> errors.

Just to add emphasis to this particular point; the CheckIt manual goes
to some considerable pains to make the above *very*clear*.

Test and diagnostic software is fine as far as it goes, but too many
people are willing to believe that if something says everything is
alright, it must be so.  Hello Peter Norton, McAfee, etc. etc. etc.

mike