Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:19:06 +0200
From:      Terje Gravvold <terje.gravvold@hiMolde.no>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Proplems with NIS

I'm trying to get the latest version of FreeBSD to ron a NIS client against
a HP-UX 10.01 based workstation. I've managed to get the NIS master server
at the HP up and running fairly easy, and I've testet the server with other
HP's and it works.

What I can't get to work is the NIS-client at the FreeBSD-boxes. This is
what I've done:
* Edited the passwordfile with vipw (I'm running shadow passwords), and
    inserted the line "+:::::::::" after the passwords I want to keep local.
* Set NIS domain with "domainname".
* Started the ypbind client.
* Checked the connection with ypwich (I'm connected to the server).
* Checked the password DB on the server with ypcat passwd.

When I'm trying to log in to the FreeBSD-box it dosen't seem to search the
NIS domain for passwords and users, instead I get a login failure.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

- Thanks form Terje -